In An Emergency

Emergency Numbers

Connect with Local Contacts

Emergency contacts vary

This may include a resident director, host program coordinator, or in-country emergency contact.

International SOS (ISOS)

+1 (215) 942-8478

24-hour Emergency Security Assistance

GU Department of Public Safety

+1 (202) 687-4343

24-hour Emergency Notifcation

CISI/Team Assist

+1 (312) 935-1703

24-Hour Emergency Medical Assistance

First Steps

  • Tend to your immediate safety/medical needs.
  • Connect with your local contacts and support network. This may include your resident director, host program coordinator, or in-country emergency contact.
  • Contact International SOS at +1-215-942-8478. Inform them you are a Georgetown affiliate in need of emergency assistance.
  • Contact CISI/Team Assist for all medical emergencies. From outside the U.S., you should call CISI/Team Assist collect +1-312-935-1703.  Within the U.S., call toll-free at 1-855-327-1411.
  • Contact the Georgetown University Police Department’s (GUPD) 24-hour emergency phone number – +1-202-687-4343 to report your emergency.  Notify the GUPD responder that you are a Georgetown traveler abroad with the Office of Global Education and provide your contact details. They will contact the appropriate university personnel to assist you.
  • Contact the Office of Global Education, +1-202-687-3132, during regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM to provide an update on your status and for appropriate guidance on the next steps.  *Please note that the Office of Global Education’s general office phone number is not staffed for immediate answer, and should not be used in an emergency.
  • Contact your family or appropriate person(s) at home and establish a communication schedule.
  • Report the Incident: Georgetown University – International Incident Report Form

What is an emergency?

  • Any situation or condition that jeopardizes a Georgetown University student’s physical or mental health, safety, well-being, or program participation and/or requires the intervention of program staff.  Such events or occurrences may include, but are not limited to: civil disturbance, natural disaster, severe or prolonged illness or injury requiring hospitalization, disciplinary action, emotional or behavioral disorders, illegal actions (e.g., drug use), absence from program site, etc.

What information should be provided?

  • In an emergency, be prepared to provide as much information as possible to whomever you are contacting:
    • Your name (if not a student, your name and relationship to student(s) involved)
    • Country and program of student(s)
    • Student(s) name(s)
    • Date and time of incident/occurrence
    • Description of incident/occurrence
    • Action taken thus far
    • Physical location
    • Return contact information (telephone, email, etc.)

What should I do if I become ill or am injured?

  • In the event of a medical emergency, contact your resident director or host institution coordinator immediately.  If you are unable to reach these individuals and your medical condition requires immediate attention, go to the nearest hospital or medical facility.

What if I don’t know where to go to seek medical care?

  • From outside the U.S., you should call CISI/Team Assist collect +1-312-935-1703.  Within the U.S., call toll-free at 1-855-327-1411.
  • Referrals: CISI/Team Assist will provide special assistance in locating the nearest, most appropriate medical care.
  • Translators: In the event of an emergency, CISI/Team Assist will provide translation services and referrals to local interpreters as necessary.

If I am hospitalized and have a large bill, what should I do?

If you are hospitalized, CISI/Team Assist may be able to coordinate hospital payment guarantees.  Call CISI/Team Assist as soon as possible after you are admitted to the hospital to discuss payment options.

What if I have a non-medical emergency?

Non-medical emergencies are situations that do not involve injury, illness, or urgent medical attention, but such circumstances still need to be resolved promptly.  In a non-medical emergency, follow the emergency contact guidelines listed above. In some cases, it may be necessary to file a police report with local authorities, particularly if you are assaulted or robbed.  If your passport is lost or stolen, you will need to report it to the U.S. consulate in your host country as soon as possible.  If your credit/debit cards are lost or stolen, you should immediately contact the bank or financial institution that issued the cards.

Sexual Misconduct

If you experienced sexual misconduct while abroad, please review the Title IX & Studying Abroad page (new window) on the Sexual Misconduct website.