My Academic Credit
Students who have been officially nominated by Georgetown University and successfully completed what is considered to be a full courseload at their host university will typically receive 15-16 Georgetown credits and 5 course equivalents per semester. Grades awarded overseas will be listed on the Georgetown transcript but will not be included in the Georgetown GPA (exceptions: Georgetown in Fiesole, Italy - Villa Le Balze, Georgetown in Alanya, Turkey - McGhee Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies and Georgetown in Doha, Qatar).
Summer credits vary depending on the program, ranging between 3-12 credits. Check individual program websites for more details.
Where is my transcript?
- Transcripts for GU-Approved programs are sent to OGE by the overseas program. When they are received by the office, your application homepage will show that it has been processed by OGE and forwarded to the appropriate dean's office.
- Each respective dean will then post the overseas courses to the Georgetown transcript.
- You may request an unofficial copy of the overseas transcript. Please note that it often takes several months from the end of a program for OGE to receive transcripts from overseas institutions.
- You should review the transcript for accuracy and notify your overseas studies advisor if you believe the transcript contains an error. Please note that the procedures for challenging grades will vary from site to site and, in some cases, may not be possible.
- Students on Independent Petition programs are responsible for making arrangements with their program sponsor to forward their transcripts directly to OGE.
IMPORTANT: Due to the regulations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), students who participate on a program administered by a U.S.-based institution (e.g., Duke University, Syracuse University, University of Kansas, etc.) will have to officially request that the program provider forward an official transcript to OGE once their overseas program has ended.
The Georgetown University deans provide the following school-specific guidelines for overseas credit allocation. If you have further questions about the process, you should contact your dean.
I am a . . .
Once the College receives your overseas transcript you should:
- Pick up and complete an Allocation of Transfer Credit Form from your dean's office.
- Meet with the Director of Undergraduate Studies or the appropriate advisor for your major and minor departments, and provide them with copies of your syllabi, written work, and assignments if they are requested.
- Ask the Director of Undergraduate Studies or the appropriate advisor to sign the form indicating departmental approval (the deans will ask the faculty to indicate the specific course numbers for each overseas course to be allocated).
- Return the form to your dean's office for review and posting.
No credit will be allocated until you submit the form with the appropriate faculty signatures. Students seeking general education credit for a study abroad course should petition their dean. As appropriate, the dean will request departmental input. Any questions about credit allocation should be directed to your dean.
If you are in the McDonough School of Business, you must obtain course clearance from your dean on the initial study proposal submitted at the time of application for study abroad. If your courses change once you are on-site, you will need to contact your dean for clearance to take the courses not already approved. Upon return from study abroad, you should:
- Provide your dean with a syllabus and/or course description (translated if you studied abroad at a non-English speaking site) for each course that was not pre-approved by your dean.
- Obtain approval for minor classes from your minor department if courses were not pre-approved.
If you are an student in the School of Foreign Service, you should obtain course clearance from your dean (for overseas courses toward the major, SFS core, and elective classes) on the initial study proposal at the time of application for study abroad. If your courses change once you are on-site, you will need to contact your dean for clearance to take the courses not already approved. Upon return, you should:
- Clear pending course approvals by submitting course materials to your dean or the certificate administrator. These materials may include syllabi, written work and course descriptions.
If you are an student in the School of Nursing & Health Sciences you will need to do the following to have your overseas courses and grades posted to your GU transcript:
- Complete an Allocation of Transfer Credit Form, which can be found at your dean's office.
- Meet with the appointed departmental representative if you want to receive credit toward a minor or certificate. In order to obtain their approval/signature on the Transfer of Credit Form, you will need to be prepared to provide course documentation (e.g. copies of syllabi, written work, assignments).
- Return the completed form with signatures to the dean's office for review and posting.
- If you are seeking general education credit for a study abroad course you should petition your dean. As appropriate, the dean may request departmental input.
- If you have questions about credit allocation, you should contact your dean. No credit will be allocated until you submit the form with the appropriate faculty signatures.
If you are a non-Georgetown student and you participated on a Georgetown study abroad program, please follow the instructions below on to obtain an official Georgetown transcript.
- Go to http://registrar.georgetown.edu/records/transcripts/
- Click on the "Transcript Request Form" at the top of the page.
- Complete the form and mail or fax it directly to the Registrar's Office.